These chocolate covered marzipan balls are just like what you’d get from your favorite chocolate shop. They’re beautiful little truffles filled with a soft chunk of homemade marzipan and coated in a snappy layer of dark chocolate.
I love to sprinkle finely chopped salted almonds on top for an extra crunch and a visual cue of what to expect. You could also use flaky salt, which in my opinion works with literally every type of candy.
If you know someone who loves marzipan and all of it’s cozy, sweet almond flavors-- these marzipan truffles will rock their world.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
how to make the best chocolate covered marzipan:
- Start with homemade marzipan. The flavor and complexity will blow the store-bought stuff out of the water. It tastes like ambrosia and is the key to making really great marzipan truffles. Plus, it’s so simple.
- Use a scale to measure out 15-gram portions. This is the real key to making homemade chocolates look less, er, homemade. I love this scale-- it's small, affordable, reliable, and lasts forever (with a lot of drops).
- Use high-quality dark chocolate and temper it. No one wants homemade candy that smudges chocolate all over and melts in their hands. Tempered chocolate will give a smooth, hard, snappy coating to your marzipan. Learn how to properly temper chocolate here.
- Dip room-temperature marzipan balls. If you dip chilled marzipan, the chocolate shell will crack as it comes to room temperature. I learned about this darn expansion the hard way…
- Get the right tools! A good digital thermometer for tempering the chocolate and chocolate dipping forks (I love to use the spiral swirl dipper for truffles) will set you up for success.
how much chocolate do I need for these marzipan truffles?
You only need about 2 oz total of chocolate to cover all of these marzipan balls.
That being said, it’s really important to have excess chocolate so that you can comfortably submerge the marzipan. This will give you a smooth, even coating and it will make the process much easier.
I prefer to temper at least 12 oz of chocolate for a batch of marzipan.
Keep in mind that larger quantities of chocolate also maintain the temperature better, so the batch will stay tempered longer. And there’s ZERO harm in tempering more than you need. Just pour the extra unused chocolate on a piece of parchment, let it set, and store it for another time.
how to store chocolate covered marzipan:
Store in a cool, dry place for up to 1 month. I prefer to keep them in a ziptop bag on the counter, but any container that basically keeps the dust off and bugs out will work.
No refrigeration is necessary, and in fact, it will cause the chocolate to bloom and lose its shiny, smooth, beautiful appearance.
more homemade candy recipes to try!Print
chocolate covered marzipan
These marzipan chocolates are beautiful little truffles filled with a soft floral chunk of homemade marzipan and coated in a snappy layer of dark chocolate.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 18
- Category: Candy
- Method: Dipped
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 1 batch marzipan (can use 10 oz store-bought marzipan)
- 12 oz tempered chocolate, for dipping
- 2 tbsp finely chopped roasted salted almonds
- Divide the marzipan into 15-gram portions (or a generous teaspoon). Roll into smooth balls and set aside.
- Temper chocolate in a large glass bowl. Use a chocolate dipping fork to fully submerge the marzipan in chocolate, then raise the fork and tap 3-5 times to let excess chocolate drip off. Scrape the bottom of the fork against the bowl to remove more chocolate, then slide the truffle onto prepared baking sheet.
- Let sit 10- 15 seconds, then sprinkle with chopped almonds. Repeat dipping and garnishing the remaining marzipan. The tempered chocolate will continue to crystallize and harden over the next few days. Store in a cool, dry place.
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 88
- Sugar: 11g
- Sodium: 3.8mg
- Fat: 4.1g
- Saturated Fat: 0.8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 12g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 1.5g
- Cholesterol: 0.3mg