For some reason, this smoked salmon crostini conjures up images of New Year’s Eve in my mind’s eye — probably because they go so well with Champagne. But it might also be because they’re easy to prep, they can be assembled quickly, and they have an air of elegance about them that is perfect for a special occasion.
Simple recipes like this demand high quality ingredients, so splurge on the smoked fish, don’t substitute the creme fraiche, and definitely fry the capers. This was my first time frying capers, and it really changed my opinion about them. They become crispy, salty, and more subtle in their brininess. It’s my new favorite caper technique.
If you’re looking for a party appetizer, or just an excuse to pop the bubbly that’s in your fridge, this smoked salmon crostini recipe is for you! These salty, crunchy, creamy, briny salmon toasts are destined for fancy parties and sparkling wine.
smoked salmon crostini
These smoked salmon crostini are an elegant, simple appetizer that are perfect for a special occasion. They’re easy to prep, they can be assembled quickly, and taste delicious!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp capers, rinsed and patted dry
- 8 slices country-style bread, toasted or grilled
- 1 cup crème fraîche
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound hot-smoked salmon or trout, flaked
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- olive oil (for drizzling)
- Toss onion and vinegar in a small bowl and let stand for 10 minutes to pickle.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Fry capers until opened and crispy, about 30 seconds. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt.
- Spread toasts with crème fraîche and season with salt and pepper. Top with smoked salmon, drained pickled red onion, fried capers, and chives. Drizzle with oil and serve.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 296
- Sugar: 2.2g
- Sodium: 854mg
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Unsaturated Fat: 9.4g
- Trans Fat: 0.5g
- Carbohydrates: 13f
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Protein: 15g
- Cholesterol: 56mg
Keywords: smoked salmon crostini