Smoked salmon toast is a fresh, flavorful and simple way to elevate your breakfast and take that worn out avocado toast to the next level. It's going to have you stockpiling your fridge with smoked salmon and enjoying it every chance you can!
We top the salmon avocado toast with quick pickled fennel to add a pop of flavor and much needed crunch. The sweet anise and punchy vinegar brine balance the rich smoked salmon for a truly delicious breakfast toast. And don’t forget to finish them with sliced radishes and fennel fronds for extra freshness and texture.
Use the best hot smoked salmon you can find-- the flavor and oily texture of great fish will really shine here. I've found the most reliable source of really great smoked salmon is local fishmongers or butchers. They typically have the best fish to start with and smoke the salmon in house for great flavor, freshness and reliable quality. That is, unless you smoke your own!
what you need for this salmon avocado toast:
- Crusty bread
- Hot smoked salmon
- Apple cider vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil
how to make salmon toast:
- Quick pickle the fennel slices
- Brush the bread with olive oil and bake until just browned, 5 minutes
- Layer toast, avocado, smoked salmon, pickled fennel and radishes on each piece of toast
- Garnish with fennel fronds and flaky salt
tips for this smoked salmon toast recipe:
- Use a mandoline to slice the fennel. I prefer it to be thick enough to add a good crunch, but thinner than is usually doable by hand. Too thick and the fennel will need longer to pickle-- and it may still be a little too tough. Pickled fennel will keep for 3- 4 days in the fridge without losing too much crunch.
- Don't toss your fennel fronds! They emphasize the anise flavor and add a beautiful pop of green.
- Substitute cold smoked salmon if you prefer! The oily texture and rich flavor of both types of smoked salmon work so well in this toast recipe.
- Use any crusty artisan bread here. Look for a dark and crunchy crust, big holes in the crumb, and a nutty smell for the most flavorful loaf.
what to serve with smoked salmon avocado toast:
We love to enjoy this salmon toast as a special weekend breakfast. Round it out with a bowl of homemade granola clusters and fresh fruit. And to make it extra memorable, serve it with a Grand Marnier grapefruit mimosa!
Smoked salmon toast is also a great brunch item. It’s simple to throw together, easy to scale, and people love it.
more toast recipes to try:
Love salmon? Try our salmon crudo, salmon rillettes, and salmon wellington recipes!Print
smoked salmon toast
This salmon toast will take your avocado toast to the next level! Topped with quick pickled fennel and crunchy radishes-- you’ll love the rich flavor and pop of texture.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 minutes
- Total Time: 21 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Toast
- Cuisine: American
- 1 fennel bulb, quartered and thinly sliced, fronds reserved
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- kosher salt
- 4 ½-inch thick slices crusty bread
- olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ripe avocados, sliced
- 4 oz hot smoked salmon
- 2 small radishes, thinly sliced
- flaky salt, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Meanwhile, pickle the fennel. Combine vinegar, sugar and ½ teaspoon kosher salt in a bowl and stir until dissolved. Add fennel and toss to coat. Let stand at room temperature while you make the toast, at least 15 minutes.
- Arrange sliced bread on a baking sheet, brush both sides with olive oil and season with salt and black pepper. Bake for 5- 8 minutes, or until golden on the edges and slightly springy in the center. Set aside to cool.
- To assemble salmon toasts, arrange avocado slices over a piece of toast and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with smoked salmon and pickled fennel, then scatter with fennel fronds and sliced radishes. Sprinkle with flaky salt and enjoy immediately.
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 313
- Sugar: 3.3g
- Sodium: 738mg
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 3.1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 16g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 26g
- Fiber: 8.3g
- Protein: 10g
- Cholesterol: 6.5mg
Keywords: salmon toast