This ginger hot toddy is layered with warmth and the fragrant lift of fresh citrus zest. Honey gives the drink a floral sweetness, while lemon and ginger keep it fresh, cozy, and honestly-- perfect.
It's the perfect balance of sweet, tart, and soothing. We can never have just one.
This ginger hot toddy is spiked with applejack (also known as apple brandy) and Grand Marnier, both of which take this hot cocktail to the next level of deliciousness. It’s smooth, warming and shockingly easy to both make and drink.
If you don’t have applejack, feel free to use brandy (VS or VSOP Cognac would work great here).
how do you make a ginger hot toddy?
- Prepare your glass with a pinch of cayenne and a spritz of orange oils
- Simmer fresh ginger and water together to create a spicy cocktail base
- Combine hot ginger water with honey, applejack (apple brandy), orange liqueur, lemon juice and bitters.
can you make ginger hot toddies ahead of time?
Yes, you can make hot toddies in advance!
You can simmer the ginger and water together several days ahead of time, and simply reheat it when you want to assemble your drink. You can even make a big batch of the ginger tea so you always have some on hand.
If you want to make the entire hot toddy ahead of time (apple brandy and all), I suggest you reheat it very gently in a small, covered saucepan. This will minimize how much alcohol evaporates as you heat it.
Refrigerate leftover hot toddy mixture in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
how do you make this hot toddy for a crowd?
This hot toddy recipe is super easy to scale up. I prefer to mix it all in a large saucepan, for ease of stirring, but any heatproof pitcher or punch bowl will work too.
Make a big batch of ginger tea, then measure out the correct amount of water you need in your pitcher (or pot). Add the honey, applejack, Grand Marnier, lemon juice and bitters.
When you scale up cocktail recipes for a crowd, often times you need to adjust the balance a bit more to taste to get it really perfect. Add sweetness or acid with more honey or lemon juice, and adjust strength with more apple brandy or more ginger tea.
Watch our warm winter cocktails web story here!Print
applejack ginger hot toddy
This ginger hot toddy is layered with cozy warmth and the fresh lift of citrus. It’s spiked apple brandy for a smooth, shockingly delicious hot cocktail.
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 1
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 (1-inch wide) strips of orange zest
- 1 (2-inch long) piece of ginger, sliced into coins
- 1 oz honey
- 1 ½ oz apple brandy
- ¾ oz Grand Marnier
- 1 oz lemon juice
- 2 dashes angostura bitters
- Add a pinch of cayenne to the bottom of a small mug, then squeeze an orange peel to spritz the oils inside. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine ginger slices with 1 cup of water. Bring mixture to a simmer, cover and cook for about 10 minutes, or until water has a spicy ginger flavor. Remove from heat and pour ½ cup of hot ginger water into a cocktail shaker or large heatproof glass. Discard ginger pieces and extra water.
- Add honey, apple brandy, Grand Marnier, lemon juice and bitters to shaker and stir to combine. Pour into prepared mug and serve.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 214
- Sugar: 28g
- Sodium: 9.4mg
- Fat: 0.1g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0.1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 31g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Protein: 0.4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: ginger hot toddy