This rich and boozy hot chocolate with coconut milk is the best way to enjoy a cold winter evening. It’s incredibly silky from the coconut milk, and it has the most intense flavor thanks to three different types of chocolate.
Best of all, the Cognac highlights the fruity profile of chocolate and warms you up. But feel free to use dark rum or whiskey if you prefer!
The main block of time my husband and I have just to ourselves is the evening after our son goes to bed. If you have kids, I’m sure it’s the same for you.
Life is crazy and hectic and rushed all the way up to bedtime, and then boom. Quiet. Stillness. Time to think. And for my husband and I, we’ve made it our time to connect.
Sometimes we kick back with wine and binge on Netflix, to decompress and zone out and honestly, to forget about the stresses of the day. But lately, we’re pulling back from the TV shows in favor of relaxing on our concrete slab of a backyard (we call it the lanais to be fancy).
We talk about our day, our plans, the mundane business of life, and our big dreams. Sometimes we play fetch with our dog, sometimes we just sit and watch the crows in the canyon. I’ve come to truly love this time of the day (which is big for me, because I also love to go to bed at 7). I love the re-centering we both get from it.
And as the days get cooler and the nights darker, there’s nothing better than a hot mug of spiked hot chocolate to top off the evening.
It’s rich, satisfying, and so cozy. The coconut milk hot chocolate makes our evenings extra special, and sometimes a little wild depending on the booze. But honestly, I think buzzed nighttime gardening is one of the best ways to bond with my husband. This spiked hot chocolate will get you there and it will be the most delicious way to end your day.
Regardless of how you spend time connecting with loved ones, great food and great drinks will make the memories so much richer.
how do you make boozy hot chocolate?
- combine cocoa powder, coconut milk, brown sugar and salt
- bring mixture to a simmer
- remove from heat, stir in chopped chocolate until melted
- stir in vanilla and Cognac (if you want it boozy)
what can I add to coconut milk hot chocolate?
- a few drops of peppermint extract to get in the holiday spirit
- for a stronger drink, skip the extract and add a splash of peppermint schnapps!
- a pinch of cayenne and cinnamon, then swap out the cognac for tequila for a Mexican flair
- these homemade mocha almond marshmallows
- a dollop of whipped cream
- toasted coconut flakes
- chocolate shavings
- crushed peppermint candies
For a fun spin on hot chocolate, try these boozy hot chocolate bombs! They’re hollow chocolate shells, filled with hot chocolate mix and marshmallows. Simply pour hot milk over top and watch them explode. Spike with you favorite liquor for a fun and delicious treat!Print
rich and boozy hot chocolate with coconut milk
This boozy coconut milk hot chocolate is silky and rich. Three types of chocolate give it a deeply intense flavor, and it’s spiked with Cognac to warm you up.
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Drinks
- Cuisine: American
- 2 tbsp unsweetened Dutch process cocoa powder (alkalized)
- 3 cups (two 13.5 oz cans) unsweetened, full fat coconut milk
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup VS Cognac, plus more if desired
- whipped cream, for topping (optional)
- Place cocoa powder in a small saucepan. Add a splash of coconut milk and whisk to make a paste. Gradually pour in the rest of the coconut milk, whisking to combine to prevent lumps. Whisk in brown sugar and salt.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat, whisking to prevent scorching. Remove from heat, add the chocolate, and stir until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Stir in vanilla extract and the cognac. Taste and add more cognac if desired. Top with a dollop of whipped cream if using, serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 2/3 cup
- Calories: 281
- Sugar: 11g
- Sodium: 67mg
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 14g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Protein: 4.2g
- Cholesterol: 3.5mg
Keywords: boozy hot chocolate