These delicate Hawaiian shortbread cookies are filled with the sweet flavor of macadamia nuts and finished with a thick dip in dark chocolate. They're buttery, tender, and so fragrant-- good luck only having one!
I love to dip these diagonally in dark chocolate, but you could also drizzle in chocolate, dip the bottoms in chocolate, cut them out into small cookies and fully coat in chocolate. Or mix it up with milk or white chocolate! Keep reading for fun ways to make these your own.
macadamia shortbread cookie ingredients:
- macadamia nuts
- powdered sugar
- granulated sugar
- fine salt
- your favorite chocolate, for dipping
how to make Hawaiian shortbread cookies:
- Roughly chop macadamia nuts and cornstarch in a food processor.
- Add both sugars and salt, and process until mixture resembles coarse sand.
- Pulse in flour.
- Add butter and pulse until dough comes together.
- Transfer dough to parchment paper, roll out, and chill until firm.
- Cut into squares or circles and bake until firm and golden on the edges, about 22 minutes.
- Dip in chocolate, let set and enjoy.
flavor variations to make these Hawaiian shortbread cookies your own!
- Mix in ½ cup shredded coconut (lightly toast it for extra flavor!)
- Mix in ½ cup candied pineapple or dried mango (chopped finely)
- Mix in ⅓ cup chopped dark chocolate or white chocolate
- ½ cup crushed, freeze-dried strawberries or raspberries
- ½ cup chopped dried tart cherries
- Mix in lime zest and dip in white chocolate
- ½ cup crushed, freeze-dried bananas
tips for this macadamia nut shortbread cookie recipe:
- Use roasted, salted macadamia nuts for the best flavor.
- The dough will look very dry and crumbly at first. Keep pulsing and stirring the dough in the food processor until it starts to clump and come together.
- Keep it cold! This dough specifically needs a lot of chilling to stay cold and workable. I return it to the fridge several times between rolling it out and baking-- basically, whenever it starts to feel soft and sticky. Just pause and chill!
- Read up on how to temper chocolate so you get a beautiful and lasting dip in snappy, shiny chocolate that won’t melt in your hands.
The shortbread dough can be frozen for up to 3 months.
I prefer to roll out the dough and freeze the slabs in a resealable plastic bag. You could also roll the dough into a log to freeze, or shape it into 2 disks.
Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before cutting and shaping.
To freeze the shortbread cookies after baking, cool the cookies completely then layer in an airtight container. Separate the layers with parchment paper to prevent them from sticking.
You could also freeze them on a sheet pan overnight, then store them in a resealable plastic bag.
Thaw at room temperature before serving.
more shortbread cookie recipes to try:Print
Hawaiian shortbread cookies
Hawaiian shortbread cookies are filled with the sweet flavor of macadamia nuts. Complete with buttery crumbles and a thick dip in chocolate!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 22 minutes
- Total Time: 52 minutes
- Yield: 18
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Food processor
- Cuisine: American
- 3 oz roasted macadamia nuts
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp fine salt
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cubed
- Tempered milk or dark chocolate, for dipping
- Place macadamia nuts and cornstarch in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until roughly chopped. Add powdered sugar, granulated sugar and salt and process until macadamia nuts are finely ground and the texture of coarse sand, about 30 seconds.
- Add flour and process until combined. Toss in butter cubes and process until dough begins to come together, about 1 minute.
- Scoop out the dough on a piece of parchment paper. Cover with another sheet of parchment and roll out to a generous ¼-inch thick. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or until very firm.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Cut out squares with a cookie cutter and transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Re-roll and chill scraps as needed. Store unbaked cookies on a parchment paper-lined sheet pan in the refrigerator.
- Bake for 22- 24 minutes, or until cookies are firm to the touch and edges are a light golden brown.
- Let cool for a few minutes, then carefully transfer to a rack to cool completely. Repeat baking remaining cookies.
- Once cookies are completely cool, dip them diagonally in tempered milk or dark chocolate. Chocolate will set within a few minutes and continue to harden and crystallize for the next 24 hours.
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 135
- Sugar: 6g
- Sodium: 66mg
- Fat: 8.8g
- Saturated Fat: 3.8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 14g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Protein: 1.3g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
Keywords: Hawaiian shortbread cookies