I love whiskey, I love ginger, and I really love fresh juicy blackberries, so it was only natural to combine all of those flavors into a late summer whiskey sour. In this cocktail, we muddle fresh ginger and blackberries in the lemon juice and simple syrup, add whiskey and ice, shake to combine and pour over fresh ice.
The result is a mouthwatering cocktail brimming with juicy blackberries, warm ginger and the sweet tart backbone of a whiskey sour.
what makes a drink a sour?
To be part of the “sour” family is pretty straight forward. All you need is liquor + citrus juice + sweetener to be considered a sour. The most popular is a margarita (tequila + lime + simple syrup/ triple sec), but that’s only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to your options. Once you start to experiment with liquor, acid and sweetener, you’ll be hooked on developing your own sour drinks.
While it’s not required, it is common to include an egg white in a sour for a silky mouthfeel and luxuriously thick foam.
If you’d like to adapt this drink with an egg white, add it to the cocktail shaker with the whiskey and shake for 30 seconds, then add the ice and shake for another 30 seconds. This dry shake technique gives the egg white time to get super foamy without diluting the drink from melted ice. Then once the white is whipped up, you can shake it with ice to chill everything down.Print
blackberry ginger whiskey sour
This drink is all about juicy blackberries, smooth whiskey and the warming spice of fresh ginger. Lemon juice brightens the flavors of this whiskey sour, and we especially love the citrusy, spicy edge that rye whiskey gives to this summer cocktail.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 1x
- Category: Drinks
- Cuisine: American
- 2 slices fresh ginger
- 2 blackberries
- 1/2 oz simple syrup
- 1/2 oz lemon juice
- 2 oz whiskey (rye or bourbon)
- sprig of mint, for garnish
one pitcher (8 drinks)
- 1 ginger root, sliced (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups blackberries
- 1/4 cup simple syrup
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 cups whiskey (rye or bourbon)
- 8 sprigs of mint, for garnish
- Muddle ginger, blackberries, simple syrup and lemon juice in a cocktail shaker. Add whiskey, fill with ice, and shake until chilled, about 30 seconds.
- Strain mixture over fresh ice in a rocks glass and garnish with a sprig of mint. Enjoy immediately!
one pitcher (8 drinks)
- In a large bowl, muddle ginger, blackberries, simple syrup and lemon juice. Add whiskey and 2 cups of ice cubes and stir until chilled, about 30 seconds (you can skip the ice if you’re not going to serve it right away). Strain into a glass pitcher and refrigerate until ready to drink.
- To serve, pour over ice in a rocks glass and garnish with a sprig of mint.
makes one drink or one pitcher (8 drinks)
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 162
- Sugar: 7.3g
- Sodium: 4.5mg
- Fat: 0.1g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 8.6g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Protein: 0.3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: Ginger whiskey sour, blackberry whiskey sour, summer drink
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.