This whiskey punch is the perfect drink for your next holiday party. The mix of sour and black cherry juices gives the punch layers of fruity flavor while the warm spices make it taste like Christmas. Whiskey gives it, well, the punch and champagne adds a festive, much needed spritz. Because really, what’s a party without bubbles?
do you put ice in whiskey punch?
For those of you new to the punch game, cooling down your giant bowl of liquid without diluting it can be tricky. Avoid small ice cubes, which melt quickly and will water down the punch. Instead, make a giant ice cube or decorative ice ring!
giant ice cube:
Fill a freezer safe bowl or baking pan with 4- 6 inches of water and freeze overnight. Make sure the bowl is smaller than your punch bowl so the giant ice block will fit.
decorative ice ring:
Make a beautiful ice ring by repeating the above process in a bundt pan. Add your choice of citrus slices, berries, herbs and edible flowers for decoration and flavor.
When ready to unmold, turn the bowl or pan upside down and run warm water over the outside of the bowl. Catch the ice block when it releases and store on a plate, or in a ziplock bag, in the freezer until ready to use.
can you make the holiday punch ahead of time?
Absolutely! Whenever possible, I prefer to make the punch in the morning (minus the sparkling wine) and chill it in the fridge until the party. When you’re ready to serve it, add the champagne and ice block. It’s one less thing you have to prep before the party. And as a plus, starting with cold ingredients will slow down the melting ice and minimize dilution. This will keep your punch tasting delicious.
holiday whiskey punch with cherries and champagne
This whiskey punch is the perfect drink for your next holiday party. The mix of sour and black cherry juices gives the punch layers of fruity flavor while the warm spices make it taste like the holidays. Whiskey gives it, well, the punch and champagne adds a festive, much needed spritz.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes, plus 12 hours to freeze ice ring
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: Drinks
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup fresh pomegranate seeds
spiced simple syrup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- 1 star anise
- 3 cloves
- 1 1/2 cups sour cherry juice (can use pomegranate juice in a pinch)
- 1 1/2 cups black cherry juice
- 3 cups whiskey (we prefer rye or bourbon)
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 2/3 cup spiced simple syrup (all of recipe above)
- 1 bottle dry champagne or sparkling wine
- lemon slices, for garnish
- mint leaves, for garnish
- The day before you plan on making the punch, make the ice ring. Spread 1 cup of pomegranate seeds evenly across the surface of a bundt pan or small freezer safe bowl (make sure the diameter is smaller than your punch bowl).
- Fill pan with 4- 6 inches of cool water and freeze overnight. To unmold, run hot water over the outside of the pan or bowl until the ice ring falls out of the pan. Use immediately or store on a plate in the freezer.
spiced simple syrup
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar, water, cinnamon sticks, star anise and cloves over low heat. Stir to dissolve sugar, then cook over low heat for 10 minutes to infuse flavors. Don’t boil.
- Remove from heat and let cool. For a mild syrup, strain off spices. Otherwise keep them in the syrup.
Store spiced syrup in a glass jar in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- In a 4 quart punch bowl, combine sour cherry juice, black cherry juice, whiskey, lemon juice and spiced simple syrup. Stir to combine. Taste, adjust with more cherry juice or whiskey if needed for your perfect strength. Add champagne and ice ring then garnish with lemon slices and mint leaves. Serve immediately.
Punch will keep for up to 2 weeks in the fridge (though the champagne will go flat after an hour or so).
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 229
- Sugar: 17g
- Sodium: 46mg
- Fat: 0g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 0.2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: whiskey punch, holiday punch