Watch out– this grilled corn salad is completely addicting. We’ve been calling it the crack corn salad recipe. It’s the most perfect balance of sweet, spicy, smoky and tart. The roasted corn kernels are crunchy, juicy and caramelized. They’re doused in a sweet-tart dressing, minced serrano peppers and fresh herbs. The corn salad is quick to throw together and can be made ahead. Basically, it’s our new favorite way to cook and eat sweet corn.
why is this corn salad the best?
There are a few key elements to this summer corn salad that make it the absolute best.
First, the dressing uses maple syrup and a ton of fresh lime juice. The combination of sweet, roasty maple syrup, tart lime juice and crisp-tender roasted corn kernels is to die for.
Then there’s the slow burn of chile peppers. I use serrano peppers for extra spice, but jalapeños work great too. There’s something to be said about the classic contrast of sweet and spicy!
Finally, this corn salad recipe includes fresh cilantro and parsley. The herbs keep the flavors extra fresh and they add a beautiful pop of green to the corn salad. If you want to add more variety and color to this salad, read on for ideas! But don’t change the dressing and don’t skip the roasting. They’re essential parts to this perfect grilled corn salad.
Read on for an overview on how to make this summer corn salad, as well as answers to common questions.
what you need to make a grilled corn salad:
- corn on the cob
- olive oil
- lime juice
- maple syrup
- serrano pepper
how to make this corn salad:
- Grill or roast the corn.
- Let cool, then cut the corn kernels off the cob.
- Make the spicy maple lime dressing.
- Chop the herbs.
- Toss the grilled corn with the dressing and herbs.
how to grill corn:
- Preheat grill the medium.
- Remove the husks from the corn.
- Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Grill, rolling cobs around every so often, until evenly charred and crisp-tender, 12- 15 minutes.
how to cut corn off the cob:
- Husk the corn and cut off the stem.
- Stand the ear vertically on the flat end.
- Start at the top of the cob, and use a sharp chef’s knife to cut all the way down one side, slicing between the cob and the base of the kernels. Rotate the cob and repeat slicing down until all of the kernels have been removed.
no grill? here are a few different ways to roast corn:
You don’t need a grill to get the toasty, caramelized flavor of roast corn! Use a hot skillet on the stove and you’re on your way to sweet roasted corn.
how to roast corn in the broiler
- Arrange an oven rack about 6 inches away from the heater element.
- Preheat broiler.
- Shuck the corn cobs, place them on a sheet pan and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Broil, turning occasionally, until evenly browned and charred, about 10 minutes.
how to roast corn on the stove
- Preheat a large cast iron or non-stick skillet until really hot. We want the corn to roast and caramelize, not steam.
- Add corn kernels in an even layer. If necessary, roast the corn in two batches– overcrowding will also lead to steaming.
- Roast, stirring only occasionally, until browned and caramelized, about 10 minutes.
how to use frozen corn in place of fresh corn:
You can still achieve a roasted flavor with the convenience and year-round availability of frozen corn! All you need is a hot cast iron pan. See detailed instructions above.
For this corn salad recipe, use between 3 1/2- 4 cups frozen corn.
variations to this corn salad recipe:
I’m obsessed with this grilled corn salad just the way it is, but it’s also a great place to use up lingering herbs or vegetables. Here are some ways to add more flavor, texture and color!
- chopped fresh tomatoes
- grilled and diced zucchini
- chopped red peppers
- diced avocado
- black beans
- crumbled feta cheese
- top with pickled jalapeños for extra spice
- different soft herbs (fresh oregano, mint and or basil)
how long can grilled corn salad be made ahead?
This grilled corn salad can be made a day ahead. Add the herbs before serving to keep the flavors and color fresh. Enjoy the salad warm or cold!
To prep this corn salad in advance, here’s what you can do the day before:
- grill or roast the corn
- chop off the kernels
- make the dressing
how long will grilled corn salad keep?
This roasted corn salad will keep, covered and refrigerated, for up to 4 days.
how to serve this roasted corn salad:
Make it an appetizer! Spoon it on crunchy toast with feta or burrata.
love corn? try these recipes:Print
grilled corn salad
This grilled corn salad is a perfect summer side. The roasted corn kernels are crunchy, caramelized and doused in a spicy maple lime dressing.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: about 4 cups
- Category: Sides
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 tbsp fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 serrano pepper, minced
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 5 ears of corn, shucked
- 2 tbsp minced parsley
- 2 tbsp minced cilantro
- Preheat the grill to medium heat.
Meanwhile, make the dressing. In a small bowl or glass jar, whisk together 1/4 cup olive oil, lime juice, maple syrup, serrano pepper, 3/4 tsp kosher salt and black pepper. Taste and add more salt or pepper if needed.
On a baking sheet, toss corn with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and black pepper. Grill until crisp tender and lightly charred, turning occasionally, 12- 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Cut the corn kernels off the cob and place them in a large bowl. Add parsley, cilantro and the dressing. Toss to combine. Taste and add more salt or pepper if needed. Enjoy warm or cold!
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 174
- Sugar: 7.8g
- Sodium: 82mg
- Fat: 8.3g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6.6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 26g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Protein: 3.6g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: grilled corn salad