This tahini granola is a mix of chewy, crunchy textures and big sesame flavor. The granola clusters are filled with oats, coconut flakes, cashews and seeds, then tossed together with dark chocolate and golden raisins. Honey adds a soft sweetness and toasted sesame oil gives the granola extra flavor. See below for more mix-in ideas!
what makes this tahini granola so great?
- 3 layers of sesame flavor: tahini, sesame seeds and toasted sesame oil all work together to produce a deeply flavored granola
- Variety of tastes and textures: seeds (flax and sesame), cashews, thick coconut flakes, golden raisins and dark chocolate keep this granola interesting
- Subtle sweetness: honey and the golden raisins add a touch of sweetness to this granola, but it’s not overpowering. The focus is on the nutty, creamy quality of tahini.
- Big clusters: I don’t stir the granola as it bakes, and then I let it cool completely in the pan before breaking it into pieces. This technique lets you control the size of your clusters!
- Chewy and crunchy texture: I love the mix of chewy and crunchy granola. Here, the oats, honey and coconut flakes add a soft chewy texture, while the egg white and coconut oil help create crunchy edges. Read further down in the post to learn how to make this granola extra crunchy.
what do I need to make this tahini granola?
- Toasted sesame oil
- Coconut oil
- Egg white
- Whole rolled oats
- Coconut flakes
- Sesame seeds
- Flax seeds
- Golden raisins
- Dark chocolate
- Flaky salt
how to make tahini granola
- Combine tahini, honey, toasted sesame oil, coconut oil and salt
- Combine oats, coconut flakes, cashews, sesame seeds, flax seeds
- Pour tahini mixture over top, mix well
- Spread into an even layer and bake 35- 45 minutes. Don’t stir!
- Let cool completely
- Break into clusters
- Stir in golden raisins and chocolate
how do I know when the granola is finished?
It can be a fine line between done and burnt with this granola, especially because we aren’t stirring it. The edges will darken before the center, so the trick is finding the right balance.
The tahini granola needs at least 35 minutes in the oven, at which point the center will feel soft and be lightly golden and the edges will be starting to turn darker brown. If you take the granola out at this point, it will harden as it cools but the center will be softer and chewier than the crunchy edges.
To get a crunchier texture, use a spatula to remove the darker edges and transfer to a plate to cool. Return the rest of the granola to the oven and let it continue to bake until golden brown, another 10- 15 minutes. Let it cool completely on the pan. Then, combine with the edges, break into clusters, and add the mix-ins.
what else would be good in this tahini granola?
- nuts: almonds, hazelnuts, macadamia nuts, pistachios
- dried fruit: tart cherries, apricots, currants, figs
- seeds: pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, chia seeds, quinoa
- misc: chocolate covered espresso beans, chocolate covered raisins, chocolate covered orange rind, crystallized ginger
tahini granola with sesame, golden raisins and chocolate
This tahini granola is a mix of chewy, crunchy textures and big sesame flavor. The granola clusters are filled with oats, coconut flakes, cashews and seeds, then tossed together with dark chocolate and golden raisins.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: about 6 cups clusters 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 egg white, beaten until frothy
- 3 cups whole rolled oats
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
- flaky salt, for sprinkling
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Combine tahini, honey, sesame oil, coconut oil, salt and egg white in a small bowl. Whisk until smooth and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, coconut flakes, cashews, sesame seeds and flax seeds. Pour tahini sauce over top and stir until everything is well coated. Spread into an even layer, about 1/2-inch thick, on prepared baking sheet and sprinkle with flaky salt.
- Bake for 20 minutes, rotate the pan but don’t stir. Bake another 15- 20 minutes, until light golden brown. The edges will be darker brown and the center will still be soft. Let cool completely on the pan, then break into chunks. Stir in raisins and chocolate.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 month.
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 304
- Sugar: 10g
- Sodium: 123mg
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 6.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 10.8g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 31g
- Fiber: 5.1g
- Protein: 6.7g
- Cholesterol: 0.1mg
Keywords: tahini granola