This chocolate parfait is a dessert for serious chocolate lovers. It’s for those who don’t discriminate chocolates based upon cacao– they just love all chocolate, all the time!
The parfait is layered with deep bittersweet chocolate mousse, crushed chocolate cookies, sweet milk chocolate mousse, more crushed chocolate cookies, light-as-air whipped cream, and final touch of thick chocolate shavings. No boxed pudding mix here. Just out of this world homemade chocolate mousse, two ways, in one perfect individual serving.
It’s a creamy, fluffy, sweet chocolate dessert that looks just as stunning as it tastes. Best of all, these chocolate parfait cups can be made a day ahead and kept in the fridge until you’re ready for them. Now that’s my kind of dessert!
what is in a chocolate parfait?
A chocolate parfait can be anything chocolate, layered in a cup. It’s a broad definition which makes it super fun to play with.
Here, I’ve essentially developed a double chocolate mousse parfait recipe. So we make a bittersweet mousse and a milk chocolate mousse and layer them together with a good sprinkling of crushed cookies in between.
what you need for this chocolate parfait:
- bittersweet chocolate
- milk chocolate
- chocolate cookies
- heavy cream
- brewed espresso
- vanilla extract
- kosher salt
- shaved chocolate
- whipped cream
A note on raw eggs:
These chocolate mousse parfaits are made with raw eggs. Eating raw eggs is not recommended for infants, the elderly, pregnant women, and people with weakened immune systems.
That being said If you’re young and healthy, it’s generally considered safe to consume raw eggs. If you’re at all worried, just buy pasteurized eggs or pasteurize them yourself.
how to make a chocolate parfait:
- Chop both chocolates and place in separate bowls.
- Heat heavy cream, pour some over both chocolates to melt.
- Whisk yolks into both chocolate bowls.
- Whisk espresso into bittersweet chocolate mixture.
- Whisk vanilla into milk chocolate mixture.
- Beat egg whites with salt and sugar to firm peaks.
- Fold half of meringue into bittersweet chocolate mixture.
- Fold remaining half of meringue into milk chocolate mixture.
- Assemble parfaits: layer bittersweet chocolate mousse, crushed cookie crumbs, milk chocolate mousse, crushed cookie crumbs in a glass or jar.
- Chill until firm and set, about 3 hours.
- Top with whipped cream and shaved chocolate to serve.
how to make this chocolate mousse parfait your own:
I love to mix up recipes and add my own flair. I think most people who cook are the same! This parfait is also BIG on the chocolate– adding fruit is a delicious way to balance some of that richness!
Here are some fun ideas to make this chocolate parfait extra special:
- Layer fresh berries (raspberries, chopped strawberries, blackberries) between the chocolate mousse
- Layer in whipped cream
- Sprinkle in chopped toasted nuts with the crushed chocolate cookies (almonds, walnuts, pecans)
- Use rum or cognac in place of the brewed espresso for a delicate kick. Spirits are great at amplifying the fruity profile of chocolate!
- Replace crushed chocolate cookies with cubed pound cake or angel food cake
- Use all bittersweet chocolate to play up the dark cacao flavor and reduce the sweetness
- Layer in sliced bananas!
more individual chocolate desserts to try:Print
double chocolate parfait
This chocolate parfait is fluffy, sweet, and intensely chocolate. It’s layered with two types of chocolate mousse and crushed cookies for a stunning dessert!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 8
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Mixer
- Cuisine: American
- 8 oz bittersweet chocolate (min 70% cocoa solids), chopped
- 8 oz milk (or semisweet) chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 tbsp espresso (can substitute rum, cognac)
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups crushed chocolate cookies
- Shaved chocolate, for garnish
- Whipped cream, for garnish
- Put bittersweet and milk chocolate in separate heatproof bowls. Heat heavy cream in a saucepan until bubbles just begin to form along the edges. Pour 3/4 cup over the bittersweet chocolate and the remaining 1/2 cup over the milk chocolate. Let sit a few minutes to melt, then whisk each smooth.
- Separate eggs, placing 2 yolks in the bittersweet chocolate, 2 yolks in the milk chocolate, and the whites in a large mixing bowl. Whisk the yolks into each chocolate mixture until smooth.
- Whisk espresso into the bittersweet chocolate mix and vanilla into the milk chocolate mix; set both aside.
- Add salt to the egg whites and beat with a handheld mixer until soft peaks form. With the mixer running, slowly add sugar, and continue beating until peaks are glossy and just stiff.
- Scoop half the meringue into the bittersweet chocolate mixture and fold in until just combined. Divide mousse among 8 small glasses or jars. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons crushed chocolate cookies. Add remaining meringue to milk chocolate mixture and fold through until evenly combined. Spoon on top of the crushed cookie layer. Cover and chill until firm, at least 3 hours.
- Top each parfait with 2 tablespoons crushed cookies. Garnish with whipped cream and chocolate curls before serving.
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- Serving Size: 1/2 parfait
- Calories: 412
- Sugar: 26g
- Sodium: 149mg
- Fat: 29g
- Saturated Fat: 16g
- Unsaturated Fat: 10.5g
- Trans Fat: 0.5g
- Carbohydrates: 33g
- Fiber: 3.4g
- Protein: 6.5g
- Cholesterol: 100mg
Keywords: chocolate parfait