blackberry cornmeal scones
Learn how to make tender, buttery, flaky scones with the delicate cornmeal crunch and big pools of juicy blackberries. These will be your new favorite summer treat!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 3 hours 20 minutes
- Yield: 8
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely ground cornmeal (can use medium grind in a pinch)
- zest of 1 lemon, finely grated
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup fresh blackberries, halved
- 3/4 – 1 cup heavy cream, plus more for brushing
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar, for sprinkling
- About two hours before making the scones (or the night before), spread the blackberries onto a plate and place in the freezer. Alternatively, use frozen berries and cut in half.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, lemon zest, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add butter and toss to coat. Use your fingers or a pastry cutter to work the butter into the flour mixture until the largest pieces are pea-sized. Put bowl in the freezer for 5 minutes to chill.
- Toss in frozen blackberries, then drizzle in 3/4 cup cream and stir until a shaggy dough forms. Knead a few times in the bowl, adding a touch more cream if needed, until the dough just comes together. Transfer to a lightly floured work surface and pat out to a 1 inch thick round. Use a sharp knife to cut into 8 wedges. Alternatively, use a 2 1/4 inch biscuit cutter to cut out scones, re-rolling and cutting the scraps no more than twice.
- Transfer wedges (or rounds) to the prepared baking sheet and place in the freezer for 20- 30 minutes, uncovered. While scones are chilling, preheat oven to 400°F.
- Brush the tops of the scones with cream and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Place sheet pan in the oven and bake scones for 18- 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool briefly on the pan then serve warm.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 324
- Sugar: 11g
- Sodium: 394mg
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated Fat: 11g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5.9g
- Trans Fat: 0.4g
- Carbohydrates: 36g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Protein: 4.2g
- Cholesterol: 53mg
Keywords: cornmeal scones, blackberry scones, summer recipe